Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Florida Layout Update....

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad! While I'm back up in NJ for a short time, I wanted to give everyone an update on the progress of the A.P.R.R Southern Division layout.

I left off with adding some of the perimeter frames to the wall. Another run to Home Depot for some supplies and we started to add the main section that goes across the wall. 


This section that spans a window will have two supports going from the front of the frame to the floor of the wall right next to each metal bracket. By the way, these two metal brackets in the photo are not only anchored to the metal studs that surrounds the window, but to the concrete wall at the bottom! This frame is not moving!

I will be adding one straight leg in the back of this frame so it supports the back part of the frame. Right now it's being held in place with a clamp until I decide if I need to add a second or third back straight leg. The reason being will be for additional support for the upper level that will need some type of back support as well. A heavy duty bracket, although smaller in size will be used in the middle of the window with a 1"x 4" piece of wood for extra support. 

I will need two more pieces of 2" x 2" for front support as well as the last frame that needs to be added on the right hand side which is approximately 62" in length. Last Friday I took a run to the lumber yard in Boca Raton. They have the 1/2" AC plywood I need and will rip it to the sizes I need. As I was leaving, there were two 60' Gunderson DD Box cars in TTX being unloaded. I wanted to take a pic, but didn't want to interfere with guys doing their job. FYI, there will be a lumber yard on this layout. 

One last thing. I was looking at the room was trying to figure out if there was any way to add a peninsula. I played a little with my diagrams and then stood in the room with a tape measure. 

If you look at the image, there's a possibility of adding a peninsula, and of course 2 levels. This plan gives me room to walk around with 3 people in the room and more opportunities to have a lot of operations. If I go with this plan, trains will be pulled from each peninsula, and delivered to industries along the railroad. What I think will develop will be a great switching layout throwing in a commuter train just for the fun of it!

More to follow next week! Thanks for reading!!he Atlantic

3 comments:

  1. The AP South is coming along great Sir Neal! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the progress and tentative track plan. I still say Bench Work By Neal is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving right along. You can't be far from laying down the plywood. Keep up the good work. Who knows maybe John and I need to make a road trip one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your woodwork and planning look first-rate. I can't wait for an update!

    ReplyDelete