Friday, April 21, 2017

Passenger Trains on the APRR

All of us love to see trains run on the layout. Some people only like freight trains, others only like passenger trains, and some like both. I’m the latter. Since I grew up on Long Island, all I really saw were commuter trains (the Long Island Rail Road), and when traveling around, Amtrak, Penn Central, the list goes on.

Here on the APRR, I wanted to have passenger trains run on the layout, especially when non-model railroaders came over. In addition, I want to eventually integrate passenger train service while having operating sessions, probably to the dismay of some of the guys in the group. Those guys who object, can always be shown the door and I tell them don’t let it hit you in the butt on the way out! I do have one friend from our group who loves to run any of my passenger trains during the session. Not only is it fun, but he likes to interrupt the guys who are running freight trains as passenger trains always take priority on the tracks in real life (or they’re supposed to – just don’t ask the people at CSX!).

The passenger fleet is quite extensive. Some of my favorites are the LIRR Greenport Scoot, a 5 car commuter train with a pair of MP15 engines on each end. This train was used to shuttle commuters and weekend tourists from Ronkonkoma to Greenport, especially during the summer months. At present, it is staged on the lower level on one of the stub tracks. I bring it out for guests who grew up on Long Island. Another train that is located on the lower level loop track around the helix is an Amtrak train. It’s comprised of 2 Amtrak P42 diesels and 6 Amfleet cars, 5 of which are coaches and one dinette/ club car. This is also run during an operating session and usually by the same friend.

Other passenger trains that can be run if so desired are many. This includes a couple of PRR P85 coaches with either a GG-1 or E7A diesel engine. I have a couple other PRR cars such as the fleet of modernism, and some corrugated cars. NYC is in the mix with some cars. Add to that a BN Green ‘Hockey Stick’ train pulled by an F45. The New Haven has the classic Heavy weight coach train pulled by an Alco PA, all in the McGinnis scheme. A have some of the later Osgood-Bradley cars as well. A D&RGW 5 stripe passenger trains has been in the collection for years. Quite some time ago, Walthers came out with an 8 car passenger train, and of course, we bought it. There’s one D&H passenger train set that I have in a show case, as it has cars with names on them. Those have special meaning to some family members. There’s a number of other LIRR trains that can be run, some from the World’s Fair era, some from the MTA. Metro-North, CDOT, NJ Transit, and some UP trains as well. If I had the space, I could probably build a yard just for passenger trains!

Now that you know I like passenger trains, where do they go on the layout? Are there stations on the APRR? Of course! The main station on the layout, and one which stands out is the Amtrak Union Station. It’s situated on the west side of the upper level of the layout and above the tracks. It was built taking 2 Amtrak stations and putting them together to make one large station. There’s an entire scene built around it. As of this writing, it’s about 80% complete. I need to finish some areas with roads, add street light and station lights. Once those are in place, it will be lit up. My friend who used to own the local hobby shop gave me an Amtrak lighted billboard sign, and I need to get that built and added as well. Below the station at track level are 3 long platforms, with steps leading upstairs. This needs some small details such as more passengers, trash cans, and a few other items. When the entire station is finished, this will be a great area to view and railfan! 


At present, I have 2 other stations on the upper level. Baskerville Jct. is located on the outside mainline track across from Cargill. This needs more details and lights.


Opposite the southern part of Rock Ridge Yard is another yet unnamed station. I would like to see if I have one more place to put a station, but I doubt it. We shall see.

On the lower level, is my version of the Morris Plains train station. This has the older classic train station look, very similar to what they have today. I added 4 tracks for staging commuter trains. I have some RDC cars I want to add and I keep one of the LIRR trains there as well.


I have one area on the lower level below the freight yard and Cargill that can get a small passenger depot. Just need to find the right kit. Trying not to have duplicate or similar stations on the layout.

Last, but not least, is another type of train that carries passengers. Subway cars! If you’ve seen some of my YouTube videos, there are random shots of the elevated subway line. The goal is to have these run from point “A” to point “B” along the wall of the layout. Looking closer, you’ll notice that the station stops resemble the NYCTA subways from the 70’s to present. I have 8 sets of the Life-Like / Walthers Proto subway cars, all of them 4 car trains. The goal is to have 4 sets of subway cars making a couple stops. At present, I have one completed section of 2 tracks in place. This goes from the southeast corner of the room to the center of the north wall. I intend to add another level slightly above it with 2 more tracks to go west and end at the Amtrak station. I have all of the parts needed to do it. Just more time to get it done. These 4 trains will stay on the same track, and work off a DC auto reversers. One for each track. The station stops are flat images of some classic NYCTA subway stations. The area on the north wall, where both sets of tracks will meet (one above the other) will resemble 161st / River Ave. You will be able to see the underground stop, and the above ground stop, which is…YANKEE STADIUM! I found a guy online who makes cardstock images of subway stops. I bought a bunch of them that resemble stops in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and of course the stadium. When up and running, I think everyone will be fascinated on this area of the layout. I know I will!

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Great recap of the passenger services available on the A.P.R.R.! I like the variety of station and the Amtrak Station is definitely one of the highlights on the layout. It has a nice crisp modern look with enough vehicle traffic to justify it's place and purpose.

    ReplyDelete