Saturday, March 31, 2018

New Industries for the A.P.R.R.

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad! 

As many of you know, I participate in a number of multi-railroad virtual operational sessions called the P.C.C.M., or more well known as the Penn Central Car Movement. There are 5 participating railroads that are part of the movements at one time or another. They are listed here in no special order:

John R and his New York Central Train Layout

Ralph V's Kings Port Division

Ed W's Very Large Hoschton Railway Co.

John B's Model Railroad

Brian's Ralston Creek Railroad

These 5 participate in the moves depending on availability and freight movement.

One of the nice things about the virtual operations is that we all have industries on our railroad where we can send the exact same or like cars 'virtually' from one layout to another. We have box cars, gondolas, hopper cars and more. There are a couple of name industries on some layouts. John R. and I have a Cargill facility and I think Ralph has one. We do get a lot of freight moves out of this one. Ed and I have the same Morton Salt plant. 

John R. has a nice flat called American Hardware Supply. This is an industry that's always in view or part of a freight car movement on the N.Y.C.T.L. Looking at the kits that I had laying around, it seems I had the same kit. Then I decided that I can add this to the layout and it will serve two purposes. One is to be part of the virtual operating sessions, and, to add moves for the yardmaster when I'm hosting an operating session when there aren't trains being worked on. What does this have to do with the yardmaster on my layout? This building is being added to the railroad as a flat against the backdrop in Rock Ridge Yard on the north end. The back drop is 11 feet long and very plain. The track where it is going to be located, while part of the arrival /departure tracks is seldom used. What better place to put it is on a track not used so often! 

In order to have it as an industry in Rock Ridge Yard, it needed to be larger than the standard kit, so I went and bought another one and made one large industry. Last, but not least was the legal issues. Sir 1:1 John and Sir 1:1 Neal have partnered on many things. He's asked that if possible, he would like (okay, he strongly suggested) a second warehouse for American Hardware located on the A.P.R.R. For those who know his background and former life, I'm in no position to argue with him and readily agreed. No legal papers to sign, some virtual handshakes, some exclusive agreements made (I want that PIZZA!), and I'm pleased to announce the GRAND OPENING of American Hardware Supply located in Rock Ridge Yard!

It came out very nice, and has the capacity to serve 2 50' box cars. In order to celebrate the grand opening, and since the owners were unavailable to be present, they sent over 2 freight cars as a show of partnership.

This building has the possibility to be moved, if need be. It's attached to the wall with velcro. 



The building works well. Now I need to add a couple of 'closed industries' as backdrop flats to fill up the rest of the divider. Those are in the process of being worked on as we type. 

I recently sent out an email announcement about the NMRA Northeastern Region convention that's coming to NJ this September. I was asked if I wanted to give a layout tour if my layout was chosen to be part of the tour, and I agreed. I was notified a few weeks ago I was officially added to the tour, and was featured in their latest email blast. Trackwork itself is 100% complete and operational. Industries that can be worked in a session is at 100% capacity. What is still needed is ballast work, which has been started, and backdrop flats, which is desperately needed. 

I've added one to the railroad back in February and was seen briefly in P.C.C.M. 44E. It's located on the south wall to the left of Irving Depot (named in honor of my father). This flat has no name is is over 2 feet long. I have 2 more planned for that wall; one is another closed warehouse and the other resembles a close power plant. Here's the first building...

That's all for now... Stay tuned for more updates!

5 comments:

  1. For the rest of your backdrop, a really good source, now gone, is King Mill flats. However, an eBay store, Anglie's Flats, is nearly as good. https://www.ebay.com/usr/angietracksideflats?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 I ordered one for my N modules, and it seems to be more finished and less work to install. These are very reasonably priced. George Sellios added an entire area of his layout based on flats in 2016. He used mostly the former King Mill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0P7S57uhI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the opening of the American Hardware Eastern Distribution Center!! Our east coast warehouses should benefit greatly by the expedient fulfillment of orders.

    Nice job on the flat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! More opportunities for the virtual ops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking addition to the layout, Neal! American Hardware should be a busy customer for the APRR!

    ReplyDelete