Tuesday, November 6, 2018

My Ride On the Amtrak Auto Train

Greetings everyone!

While my blog is primarily model railroad related, this post documents my ride on the Amtrak Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL.

Since I'm in semi-retirement mode, I offered my services to my brother. He bought a car from a friend and wanted it brought down to his place in Florida. It just happens to be in the same development as our Florida place. I would have driven it down, but he didn't want to put 1300+ miles on it, and asked if I would take it down on the Auto Train. Last time I took the Auto Train was 30 years ago. This worked out well for both of us. He got the car down to his place, and I got to add 10 cartons of trains, place a case of 100 pcs. of flex track. Oh yes, I did bring down some other things we wanted for our place, and the CFO loaded up a huge duffel bag of clothing, many cans of coffee and a few other goodies.

Departure was Sunday afternoon from NJ, and I went as far as Landover, MD. I made it just in time to avoid the rain, at least for Sunday. Monday was a different story. I think the people in the Maryland area don't know how to drive! Rain was in the forecast, roads were flooded, and people forgot how to drive! A one hour ride turned into a ride closer to 2 hours!

At 10:30 AM I arrived at the Amtrak Lorton, VA station.


The line had already started, so I went to check in. I got my seat, which was coach class. Since I was solo, no need to get a roomette as the cost was crazy! Next step, some pics of the Lorton Yard!

These auto racks were not being used and were on a siding adjacent to the passenger cars. To the right of those cars is one of the CSX tracks, although I don't know what subdivision it was part of.


These are the auto racks ready to be loaded. This train going to Florida had 16 auto racks, 8 sleepers, 6 coaches, 2 lounge cars and 2 diner cars. A pair of each served the sleeper cars as well as the coach class cars.





A view of the platform and some of the Superliner passenger cars. 


This spot was my boarding location, 5311 and it was coach class car 34128.


This was one of the banners that was hanging on the windows in the train room. I thought it was pretty neat looking.


A short time later, the Lorton crew was pulling up the engines that would haul this 4,000 foot train down to Sanford.

Amtrak P42 engines 830 and 832 were backed up to the coaches. The first car next to the engine was the dining car, then lounge car and coaches. Next set was the sleepers then lounge and diner on the other end. Behind those cars are the auto racks.


As I was hanging out on the platform, bags in tow, the crew was getting ready to build the train Amtrak Engine Dash 8-40BW #516 is making the moves. 


It's a pretty neat move, and I was able to capture some footage. 

First video, is the engine coupling up to the first set of auto racks.


Next move, is the engine pulling out the auto racks.


As I was walking back to the station area, I saw this sign with some nice facts. 


Today's ride had 233 vehicles on board. 

This was one of a few trains that had the phone number on it. I thought it was different...


 Another little fact about the auto racks. Note the inside length (I L) of the auto rack, which makes these cars much longer than 90 feet! 


It's 2:40PM and it's boarding time for my car. 



I was fortunate enough to have no one sitting next to me, so I was able to stretch out and at times, railfan out the window! The train had free wi-fi, which was fine. I didn't bring the laptop since I had one at the house. I figured I could live without it, and not doing work for a day, was fine by me.

All aboard and departure at 3:54PM, 6 minutes early. 


A quick walk to the lounge to check out the car. At this time, the dining car was not open, so this will have to do..


The bartender Louis, was very friendly and had many people throughout the night very happy, and at times, very loud..


A little later was dinner, where they offered 4 choices to hit all food palates. Portions were small and the food was fine. Three dinner seatings; 5PM, 7PM, 9PM. I chose the 7PM seating and they seat you depending on the number of people in your party, up to 4 per table. I was out of there by 8PM. At that time, the train was running an hour and 10 minutes early.

The rest of the evening was spent at my seat, trying to find sleep. That was a formidable challenge. I never sleep on a plane, and the train was no exception. Whatever sleep I didn't get on the train I'll make up tonight at the house. I wound up reading some magazines, part of a book, and news articles online. 

Next day, breakfast was served starting at 6AM. Open seating, first come, first served. Coffee, fruit, cereal, cake, juice.

Arrival time in Sanford, FL was 840AM. The train is now cut in 3 sections. First cut are the auto racks which are pulled off the train and shoved past the station platform. A run around for the engine and then all racks are shoved on to the unloading tracks. Then the train is broken down in two sections as the platform for unloading and loading passengers isn't as long as the one in Lorton. Sleepers on the right side of the platform, coach cars on the left. Departure off the train was 9:05AM


A short time later, the crew heads to the first set of auto rack cars and converge on the vehicles. I received my car at 9:50AM and was on my way!


Once on the road, total drive time was a little over 3 hours to my final destination, Boynton Beach. 

This was one trip that, while I enjoyed the ride I did this 30 years ago, I have no intention of repeating this trip, not even in a sleeper car! 

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Florida with no issues and thanks for sharing the adventure. I agree, I've made a couple of cross country trips on Amtrak and have no plans repeating the experience as well. Based on your photos, looks like they have a pretty decent arrangement. I had no idea they hauled so many autoracks on the train. That's a lot of automobiles! Enjoyed the videos with the Amtrak Dash 8 in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your adventure Sir Neal!!! Nice to read that Amtrak was on time and conditions on the train were favorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience on long distance coach, as well as sometimes with sleepers, is loud partiers and often obnoxious drunks. Sounds like Neal had some of that! There are, unfortunately, lots of reasons not to ride Amtrak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      The 3 people who were loud were in the lounge car...
      My car, as well as all the coaches were quite quiet...


      Delete