Saturday, January 12, 2019

Florida Layout Update for January 2019 - A Revision!

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog site!

A few days ago I posted my proposed track plans for my Florida layout. I went into details on what I wanted to do, a list of industries and how trains should move.

In addition, I sent the plans to a few trusted friends for feedback, and boy did I get a number of emails full of replies, to say the least!! Comments went from 'are you out of your mind' and 'mishegoss is what's coming to mind', to some I can't (okay I won't) copy and paste here for all to read.

There's a saying that goes like this: "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry" is what happened here. I strayed away from my original concept and that was a single track point to point railroad with a passenger / commuter train thrown in for good measures. Also, when I went into the train room on the morning of the 9th, I didn't like what I saw as far as the crossover tracks.

After speaking to some trusted sources, and as I said, some serious suggestions on emails (you know who you are), we went at it again.

Here is the next revision of the lower level:
The first change and the most important one was to change the track to and from the helix to a single track. The inside helix track will be used for passing, or having a train sit there until needed. Next was to eliminate the sets of crossovers at the top since it's now single track and you only need one crossover to get to the main track to go up the helix from the yard or return to the yard. The biggest change was getting rid of the giant 'X crossover' in the middle. It looked funky and the real railroads never had anything like it, at least not in a yard area. Other changes include having the tracks from the industry tracks on the left (A & B) go to and from the yard without going on the main track. Another casualty more than likely will be the elimination of the intermodal yard tracks. Since this layout is more of a shortline type railroad, there's not enough space for them to be serviced. That being said, they will either remain in the yard on the lower level right side, or not make an appearance on the railroad at all. Same with auto racks and the 89' flat cars. The 3 engine tracks that were originally posted in location 'G' will be changed to an industry and where the turntable will go, a couple tracks will be there for engines as well as the lead going to and from the turntable. A small industry will be added in location 'J' as planned on the original diagrams. One thought is to put a small passenger platform against the middle section by the window. 

Next up is the upper level:

There are a few changes on the top. First change was to eliminate one set of crossovers on the main track from the east wall. The small yard in the middle has one track going to the Cargill area from the yard track closest to the middle wall, and not from the closest track to it, which was close to the edge. The yard can be used quite effectively in the operations. A train gets delivered from the lower main yard and the operator works the entire upper level. He can hand off a train to another operator to take back to the main yard as well. The way the industries are laid out on top make the space look better, no clutter. 

So what does this do for operations? It makes the railroad operate better and with 2-3 guys can be a lot of fun. We're going to focus on box cars, reefers, some coal, corn syrup tank cars, some covered grain hoppers, all with the supporting industries. 

I have a better feel for how the railroad should run and when I have an operating session, should give us a good hour or two of some fun. 

One downside to all of this was my enthusiasm for building the layout. I will have to rip up about 8 feet of painted cork and fix up the area. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that and certainly not the last!!

Check back for more updates and how this layout will come to fruition...

3 comments:

  1. Mishegoss?! What a great word. I wonder who sent that in... I like the new revisions and will contact you via email with a suggestion that I just noted on the upper level. Sometimes a little less RR equals more railroading. I think you are definitely on the right track by scaling back the amount of track shown in the prior plans and getting back to your original plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the hard part of layout planning is what to leave out! It was challenging for me to finally complete my track plan and then years later I've made revisions here and there! Best wishes as you go through this fun process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best laid plans! I’m confident that the APRR Southern Division will be a great layout like its Northern counterpart. Thanks for sharing the trials of your layout building. 😉

    ReplyDelete