Sunday, February 3, 2019

Weekend Update on the Florida Layout

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog! 

Today's update focuses on the work being done on the Florida layout. The last update was in early January Florida Layout Update Early January

I arrived down in Florida the end of January with a duffel bag full of supplies which included switches, freight cars, tools and more! 

The focus of this post evolves around the lower level. My original plan was a single track railroad and I deviated from it. I've told many people that when a recommendation is made regarding the build, and it makes the railroad function better than what I had shown, I'll do it. Over time I've ripped up many feet of cork, and I have the wounds on my fingers and marks & holes on the New Jersey layout to prove it! 

The original plan for the lower level has been changed - TWICE! Below is the original plan:
After a number of emails and videos with some trusted sources, I've finally come up with a plan that will function better and give me the operations I am looking for. 

On January 29th I ripped up the cork and track from the helix that went around to the middle section and changed it from a double track main to a single track main, as I originally intended.

On January 31st, I made additional changes to the middle and east wall. More cork ripped up...

Today I finally have it set to the way I want it to run. The main reason I ripped it up a second time was the fact I wanted to add a back shop and RIP track on the east wall as this was not in the original plans. 

Here's a video on what was done on part of the lower level middle section and east wall leading to the yard. 



The yard itself has not changed. Each side of the yard will have 3 tracks for freight cars and the yard on the right will have one additional track that will lead to the turntable. 

That's all for now (Isn't that enough for one weekend?). More to follow as it happens..........!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work Sir Neal!!! Everything is coming together very nicely! Best wishes on getting the lower level track installed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Still can't wait to see something run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your return to a single track main and your yard set up. Some nice planning with Amtrak station as well. Much better use of your time than wasting it on that very boring and useless game on the tube.

    ReplyDelete