Saturday, March 2, 2019

Update On The Florida Layout

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog!

A quick update on the progress of the Florida layout. 

The lower level is 98% completed. I say 98% due to the fact there are 2 tracks that are not finalized. They are both on the center section of the layout in each corner. The left corner is the track for the lumber yard and the right corner is for the cement plant. 

Walthers Walton & Sons Lumber Yard


Blue Star Ready Mix


I'll soon decide if I will put one track or two tracks for each industry, then add them to the layout. 

Wiring - Right now the wiring is all in place. 15 drops on the middle section including 3 for the east wall passenger tracks. One thing I've done on the NJ layout and it will follow suit on this layout is do document my wiring. With many wires under the layout, it's easy to keep a book on what goes where. In addition, under the layout, I've numbered the drops that correlate to the book with a description. This way I can trouble shoot something if I forget.


I've numbered the diagram of the lower level. There are 2 'districts' on the lower level. One covers the entire freight yard on the right and will include the turntable area. The main section from the yard all the way over to the helix is the next district. The helix will be a separate district and the upper level will be the 4th district. 

Right now I've successfully tested the lower level with my NCE Power Cab System. This test was performed with my Athearn SW1500 and the Athearn 'Port St. Joe Route' box car donated to the Florida layout by Sir John of GA, and I thank you! The main reason I'm told is that my layout should have a box car in NY Mets colors. Even though I'm a NY Yankees fan, it's a NY team, so why not! 



When I return in a week or so, I will swap out the NCE Power Cab system for my NCE Power Pro system. In addition, I will add the antenna to make the system wireless. I'll still run a 'cab bus' as a back up. Once in place, I will add the circuit breakers. It seems the NCE EB1 Circuit breakers are not designed to play with the Power Cab system, so I will wait. I've left extra wire to cut into the existing wires. 


Thanks for reading! 

3 comments:

  1. You are really rattling along Sir Neal, thankfully your trains aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress has been made!!!! The trackwork looks just as flawless as the AP North. The 'Port St Joe' NY Mets car does kind of overshadow everything!😊 The next one I see in these colors I'll try to make it the 'Port St Lucie Route'

    ReplyDelete