Monday, September 7, 2020

New Industry Added To The Layout

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog!

Operations on the railroad continue to grow on the layout. The more I operate, with or without other guys, train movements get better. 

In Rock Ridge Freight yard, there are a number of  industries against the backdrop, which divides the layout. I had one section still needing a building. Since this is a backdrop wall, full size three dimensional buildings won't cut it. This is where 'flat' structures come into the mix. When I host operating sessions, the current industry, American Hardware, isn't in play since the yardmaster is busy with train movements in and out of the yard. However, when I participate in my 'virtual op sessions', that industry is being worked, since I wear many hats during these sessions. 

Here's the space that needed to be addressed....

In the past, a switcher sat on that track and was used to move freight cars coming into the yard which needed to be classified...


Here's a better view of the space on the right...


I decided to find a kit that would fit. Most kits aren't that big, as I needed a 28" kit to fill the space. I ordered 2 of the Walthers Armstrong Electric Motor Kits and used 1 part of the second kit...


Let the build begin! Once I decided on the layout of the pieces, we started to put it together....




Here's what the building looks like prior to hitting the paint shop (aka the garage).


We chose a couple of colors from Tamiya Paint in spray version. A brown and a beige did the trick...



I painted the window frames black, added the 'glass' (okay it's plastic!), sprayed it flat back, then gave the entire front a shot of dullcote. 

So, what to name the building or what use will it serve? While I have a restaurant supply, I don't have a food warehouse. Since I model modern, and the food name I chose has been around for decades, there wasn't a real reason to make one up, although the thought had crossed my mind. Welcome ShopRite Food Warehouse! For all of you New York and New Jersey transplants that are now far away, I'm sure you remember them. I decided on 'ShopRite' as I grew up with them and they have them in many states. Their prices are very good, better than most (okay so maybe you didn't need to know that). We pulled a logo off the internet, printed it and made a sign holder, affixed the logo to the two pillars, and we installed it in Rock Ridge! 



With the building in place, I can add some switching moves in the yard when I am solo, or doing my op sessions with a couple of the guys who come over on Thursday nights. More important, this new building will be a big player in my virtual operating sessions I participate in with Sir John of Georgia and PC Ralph of Minnesota.  

If you're not familiar with my virtual operating sessions, just scroll thru my blog posts until you see one of the many P.C.C.M. (Penn Central Car Movements) I'm part of. 

Thanks for reading and keep checking back as there's more building construction happening on the Atlantic Pacific Railroad!

4 comments:

  1. Shop Rite Warehouse looks terrific! Nice work on the big flat! Shop Rite definitely will be active in the "virtual ops!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ralph! I wanted to have it ready for the upcoming virtual op session and we're good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice new industry Neal. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking Good Sir Neal!!! ShopRite came out great and will be a big player in the virtual ops.

    ReplyDelete