Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Breaking News From The Southern Command!!

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog!

I mentioned on some earlier Florida layout updates that I had one section of the railroad that I was not happy with. That area is the upper level east wall. I'm having some second thoughts on how it would work. 



I was sitting here looking at for some track plans that I can use in part or in its entirety. I think I found one which I can expand on. I had a copy of this in my binder where I keep all of my notes on the building of this layout. It was published in Model Railroad Planning 2005.


I placed some turnouts on top of the current track area and this can work. While it's made for 6 feet in length, I can expand this for at least 8 feet. Siding "C" would be the lead track that comes from the center section.  The track where you see the crane and scrap yard (siding D) can be expanded as well. The rest I can expand to fit the area. The amount of industries is the same as what I have at present (3) and I can probably add one more industry. 

We're still leaving the 2 tracks against the wall where the passenger trains go and they will be hidden with some type of flat or backdrop now that I have this track plan to work with.

The original track plan you see was made back in 1994 by Scot Osterweil and was made with Peco track. I will be using Atlas #4 turnouts for this plan. 

If I wasn't going back tomorrow (Wednesday), I would have ripped up the current track and put down the new track plan. Looks like this will happen sometime this summer.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I hate when this happens!!! You've come across a good looking serviceable plan for your Southern layout on the last day you will be able to work on it for a few months! Hopefully you will be able to dive right back into it upon your return.

    ReplyDelete