Sunday, April 24, 2022

Expanding The Tropicana Juice Facility

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog!

The Tropicana Juice Facility is one of the major industries on the layout. It has a dedicated train that runs from staging on my railroad to the facility on Rock Ridge Yard secondary. This was built in 2008 and has been on three of my layouts including this one. 

The backdrop on the facility is a shade of blue and while the building is a nice size, to the sides of the building is plain. In my opinion, it's missing something...

That being said, I looked online to see if I can find some kits made by Great West Models, as this is what I used to kitbash Tropicana. Unfortunately, they are no longer made and Ebay has none. The closest thing I found, other than making it from scratch pieces was the Walthers Grocery Warehouse. 


The kit is actually made in a yellowish beige. I gave the parts that I needed a coat of Rustoleum flat white spray. I added some loading doors on one side of the building and the other side added walls and doors for an office. 

Here are some photos of the area before the additions...




And now....



Added the additional details to the area...





Here's a short video of the Tropicana 64' Trinity reefers being shoved back on to the property...


The industry now has a massive look to it. I did consider adding another track to the area, but when I consulted a couple of the guys that run trains on the layout, and listening to their comments and a few 'ARE YOU CRAZY' remarks, I decided against it...

The add-on looks great and I'm sure when visitors take a look at the building, they'll be very impressed!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. The new expansion of Tropicana on your layout makes it look even more like a major customer for the APRR! The scene looks great and I'm impressed by all of the trucks and loading docks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tropicana Plant is such a great focal point on your layout and a great online customer. The expansion really makes a nice impact to the scene and conveys that this is a major industry with a lot of train and truck traffic. Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete