Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Three Photo Challenge - Penn Central 2022 Calendar

Greetings followers of the Atlantic Pacific Railroad and my blog. This post is not the usual three layout operating session photos. It's called a Three Photo Challenge and is the brainstorm of Sir John and PC Ralph, who are the founders of the Penn Central Car Movements.

Late 2021 I was asked if I would be up for this challenge. It's more of a two part challenge. The first part is to create a photo on your layout that replicates as best as possible a photo from the Penn Central Historical Society 2022 Calendar. The second part, which will come closer to the end of this year, involves photos from the Penn Central Magazine, which is published three times a year. 

In the past, I've always raved about both Sir John's New York Central Layout and PC Ralph's Kings Port Division. They've done a great job with authentic engines, cars and scenery. So make sure you check their blog posts when you read this!

Let's begin the challenge...

First photo challenge I attempted is the April 2022 photo. It's a hopper car train with a GP 38 on the lead...


My photo has PC GP38 7783 followed by GP38-2 7983 with GP40 3175 and GP40 3111....



Next up is the September 2022 photo of the end of the train with a PC N5C caboose...


My version is close, using a PC N5 caboose, made by Bowser. Notice the difference in the windows. I tried to replicate the box car colors as best as possible...


That box car in front of the caboose is a familiar car from our virtual op sessions. Then we have a Railbox car, couple other cars and another Railbox car....

Finally, my third photo challenge is the photo from July 2022. This one features one of my favorite engines and my favorite ELECTRIC engine, the GG-1...

While the photo is showing a PRR single stripe, I show the re-lettered engine with the PC logo on it and a Budd PC coach behind it...


We've done our best here, and I hope the judges will be pleased with the photos. 

Make sure you check out both Sir John's and PC Ralph's Three Photo Challenge!

Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Neal! This was a fun idea and I think u managed to set up pics of your layout to replicate the calendar pages pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sir Neal!! I think you nailed it!!! The coal train would make a fine virtual ops train, the N5 is a good stand in and the GG1 is the icing on the cake!!! Glad you enjoyed the challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete